This is a bright green light super yummy soup. Simple and fast to make. Just a matter of cooking off your onion, garlic and spices and then blending the lot! You can use homemade stock*, or get cubes- just watch out there is no hydrolysed vegetable protein in them (acts like MSG).
Lettuce Pea & Avocado Soup
- Almost a whole head of a large organic oakleaf or batavia lettuce
- Two cups of organic peas fresh or frozen peas
- One red onion
- Three cloves of garlic
- Half a ripe avocado
- One teaspoon of yellow mustard
- Half a teaspoon of nigella seeds
- A teaspoon of english style mustard
- Two and a half cups of home made stock* or water plus a good quality stock cube
- Twenty fresh mint leaves
- Lots of black pepper ( to your personal taste )
- An eight of a teaspoon of sea salt (less if using salty stock cubes!)
- A scant dessertspoon of organic coconut oil
Sooo put your saucepan on a medium high heat and melt the coconut oil. Add in your mustard seeds and nigella seeds- once the oil has heated a little. Finely chop your red onion and add it too. Cook until it is getting transparent and add in your garlic. Add your salt and a little of the pepper. Add your stock. Add your peas and the mustard, give it a stir. Reduce the heat to medium.
Now… wash your lettuce and chop it. If you have an immersion hand blender you will need to chop it quite finely. If using a jug blender it can be roughly chopped. Wash your mint and get your avocado ready. If using a jug blender you pour in the stock and peas- add more pepper and pop in the mint avocado and lettuce and blend. Immersion blender add everything to the pot and blend it in there- off the heat of course!!!
Ta-da! cCreamy satisfying bright green soup!!!
Serve with your favourite vegan bread… I actually just ate it on its own ‘cos it was scrummy, if I don’t say so myself!! Xs Aissa
*see my French Onion Stew-oup footnotes for a home made stock recipe!