It is Pancake Tuesday- let the crepe craziness commence! Oddly in my family we actually only ended up eating pancakes once a year! As a grown up I may even partake bi-annually! OooOOo. Having concocted this simple recipe I may do so more often. I made these a couple of weeks ago with the idea of keeping them as wraps- but I just ate them all with tons of maple syrup and lemon instead!!!
Easy Peasy Buckwheat Pancakes!
- One tablespoon of ground flaxseed
- Three tablespoons of water
- One cup of buckwheat flour
- A eighth teaspoon of sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- Two teaspoons of sieved arrowroot powder
- Half a teaspoon of baking powder-sieved
- A cup and a quarter of unsweetened almond milk- have some spare incase the batter thickens too much
- Organic coconut oil for frying
- Organic banana with peanut butter
- Maple syrup
- Vanilla powder
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Vegan ice-cream…yum!
- Fresh berries and coconut yogurt
- Melted vegan chocolate on that vegan ice-cream!!!
- Go crazy with savoury have hummus and salad-y bits!
- Treat it like a tortilla and fill with a bean chilli sauce!
Mix your tablespoon of ground flax/ linseed with the three spoons of water. Leave to one side to thicken. This is called a flax egg- as it replaces an egg gelling capacity in a recipe.
Mix your dry stuff- I always sieve my arrowroot and baking powder incase of lumps.
Add your “flax egg” to your almond milk and give a stir.
Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, pour in the almond milk flax mix and gently whisk it all together.
Put some coconut oil in your pan, set to a medium high heat. I actually did mine in a wok. Let it melt so it coats the pan. Pour in a ladle full of your pancake batter, swirl the pan a little so it is evenly spread. Leave it alone for a minute or two so it cooks. Peep under a corner to see if it browning, only then attempt The Flipping!!
They cook quite fast as they are not thick- like a pancake crepe hybrid!
Hope you have a happy crepe day! Xs Aissa